Dentists are praising teledentistry because they understand that one of the biggest barriers for patients receiving dental care is the cost. According to ADA research, patients said they couldn’t afford to go to the dentist, or they didn’t want to spend the money.
It also goes without saying that the COVID-19 pandemic has added immense financial pressure. As a result, dental care spending, in particular, has taken a major hit.
The ADA’s research indicates that spending fell by 38% in 2020 and was expected to fall by 20% in 2021.
Before the pandemic, dentists used teledentistry technology mainly to offer virtual dental consultations to patients living in rural communities. As well as those with chronic health conditions and disabilities, including elderly patients and with mobility challenges.
However, now teledentistry has become part and parcel of the practice, regularly being offered as a means to limit coronavirus exposure.
4 Benefits of Connecting Online with Patients
Teledentistry connects dentists with patients through smartphones, laptops, or any other device with an internet connection and a camera feature.
To add to that, when a patient can easily reach you while experiencing a dental emergency or simply to have a one-on-one consultation without leaving their home, it can make for great dental care that keeps the patient coming back.
Additional benefits of teledentistry include:
- A wider pool of patients – Dentists can treat patients no matter where they live, which gives you access to patients who would otherwise struggle to find a reputable practice.
- More patients per day – With consultations and pre-screenings done remotely, dentists have more time in their schedule to serve more in-office patients.
- Easier post-op follow-ups – Dentists can check up on their patients through video calls to hear and see how their recovery is going, instead of requiring patients to come for an in-person visit.
- Faster second opinions – Dentists can consult other specialists remotely whenever they have unique or challenging cases, therefore offer the best possible service to patients.
How To Market Teledentistry at Your Practice
More dentists and patients are adapting to technology faster than before. Research has shown that patients are highly satisfied with using teledentistry during the pandemic.
In fact, the National Institute of Health found that 97% of patients were happy with the virtual services they received, and 96% said they would use these services again in the future.
However, as a dentist, you should consider marketing your teledentistry services to encourage the community to prioritize dental health treatments despite the ongoing pandemic.
To do that, you can drive new patients to your practice by:
- Updating your dental website with information about virtual appointments and general guidelines about how your teledentistry service works, as well as optimizing the website with high traffic keywords.
- Including noticeable calls-to-action on your landing page and other relevant pages to lead patients to book their virtual appointments now.
- Using social media to market your teledentistry services, interact with the community, and answer any questions about your practice.
- Setting up a Google Ads campaign so that your services can appear when patients search for teledentistry appointments in your area.
- Offering free corporate virtual screenings to reach employees working remotely in your community and may need a check-up or emergency dental care.
Most US states are open to teledentistry adoption, but each may have its own additional regulations, so implementing teledentistry technology is only the first step in growing your practice.
Follow up with these patient acquisition marketing tips to bring in high-quality patients and enhance your career in dentistry.